14.1.12

Miss.

Waiting for a roar, looking at the mutating skyline. The city is my church, it wraps me in the sparkling twilight.

Talking about my finest hour, I had more than one today. Thank you, whoever I need to thank.
Woke up into a bit of a disaster today. I have plumbing issues (No pun intended.) - the tap in my toilet just wouldn't shut properly. Water stuck on full throttle. I did managed to fix it, but by the time I left the flat, I was late for work. I didn't call the school today informing that I was going to be late - naughty me, but then you'd imagine how bizarre will it sound if I call up and say 'hey, I am running late, my tap just started leaking everywhere'. To leave that on an answering machine, nah. I'd rather explain it to my mentor face-to-face, and enjoy the laughter and embarrassment between us two.

I had two double lessons today. Thursday was my rather strange, but wonderful induction day at my new school placement, so I arranged a swap with my mentor with my Year 10s. So, first time ever, I was having a lesson on Friday. 'Surprise me.' - I told my mentor not to tell me when my formal observation is at the very start - I do believe telling me that 'this is formal' changes the dynamics of the lesson, it wouldn't be me teaching, not a true reflection. I need to stay true to myself. So 'surprise me' it is.

I ended up surprising myself today again. The lesson went very well. I changed the tone of my voice and people listened. I still had my usual banter with my students, we laughed a lot during this lesson. It was fun yet challenging. To be honest, I started my career as a teacher, doubting myself. I always thought the reason why my lesson went well must be due to my mentors - they must have done something to the students while I wasn't in - like Institute Fridays. As if by going into the school, full-time, Monday to Friday, things started clearing up. My confidence is building up steadily. Part of me is saying, maybe there's something in the water - the another parts are saying, yeah, I am that thing in the water now. My first teaching Friday was on fire - not literally, I did my risk assessment, no fire involved, safe.

After lunch, I had a year 7 class. This was a new set for me, not the usual 'troublesome year 7'. 25 is troublesome, 7 is heavenly. Class size of 7. Unheard of, in my rather short history of career in teaching. Well, to be honest, 4 were missing, but still small class, cheering in my heart. We continued with the lesson, learning their names was tricky to start with, but then not bad, I mean - 7 wasn't that difficult, was it? So, the class carried on with a big finish - dissection. My original year 7, this was messy. But then with a smaller group, this was magical. They were getting involved, touchy feely, cutty yucky.

'Bye, miss, have a nice weekend.' The kids, one by one, just left the classroom. 'Bye, sir, have a nice weekend.'
'You too.' - we only just met. This was great. Sometimes, the simplest thing will make you smile. They really will.

The countdown clock is ticking fast. In a desperate attempt to tidy up my messy ARF file, I was reading through my mentor's lesson observation notes. It's fascinating that we have come this far, but only just started.

‎'Will you promise to come back and teach us after you are gone, sir? Please, don't just leave us.'
I love my job. I really do.
iD + :T C.

No comments: