8.1.12

Deprived.

Sooner or later. I swear. We'll make it there. Sooner than later.

So, duties resumed. To be honest, having lived 23 years of my life, this is by far the most tired and exhausting week ever. Note to self, good way to torture students. set deadline one day before school resumes. Now that will teach them a lesson, I guess.

My sleeping pattern is irradical. A bit like myself actually. Normal days, I will be lucky if I get 4 hours sleep. I am fine I suppose. People wonder how can I face tens of children for god-knows-how-many hour after just few hours of sleep - well, I don't know how. I guess part of being a teacher is being a very convincing and good actor. It is a game of story telling. To some extent. But, then after just one hour sleep on Monday, followed by another one hour on Tuesday, this show that I am starring in was going to become challenging.

Wednesday, headed back to school. To be honest, Wednesday is the most challenging day for every week. Two double lessons, back to back. Four hours of science meet kids, fun. The night before the storm, Tuesday, went out to have sushi with family and friends. But, after just one hour of sleep, I was not thinking straight. I knew I had to do some lesson planning for Wednesday, but then I was too tired to think properly, I needed food. But then, when I was having sushi, the conveyor belt was hypnotising, well, sort of, all I could think about was lesson planning. When I saw the neon lights, I thought about electricity - lesson planning. When I saw food rotating senselessly in an anti-clockwise direction on a conveyor belt, I thought about digestion - lesson planning.

Ah. I screamed. Inner thoughts screamed. Not literally. Just mentally.

Here is a fact. When you are offered to take the first lesson after a holiday of celebration - turn it down, just don't bother. Computers will fail you. Whiteboard will fail you. Ballpoint pens will fail you. Paper will fail you. Tables and chairs will fail you. Lights and switches will fail you. First double lesson, half way through, with a cover teacher, I noticed - I have had better days. All my days.

However, when all else fails you, there will be light. Second double lesson, my year 7. I received a text from my mentor on Tuesday, to remind me about (quote alert) 'the troublesome year 7'. To be frank, I could have gone to bed at 4 the night before and have 3 hours of sleep, which in my world, that is plenty. But, stupidly, I decided to perfect my lesson plan for the year 7 class by rewriting the whole lesson.

From scratch.

Well, my hard work paid off. My year 7. As if all their new year resolution was 'be nice to sir'. They were engaged again. They were paying attention. Well, I need raise my voice to breaking point at one point, but, hey, I saw the light at the end of the tunnel now. I am happy. I am one happy man.

Weren't that troublesome afterall.
Stay cool.
iD + :T C.

No comments: